Hippotherapy Clinical Specialist Recertification
Your Hippotherapy Clinical Specialist Certification is valid for five (5) years. Note that the valid dates are printed on your certificate. At the present time, any ONE of the following options is acceptable for recertification:
1. Retake and pass the examination
2. Written evidence of 120 hours of continuing education distributed over the five years, with
- 50% (60 hours) in education related to equine subject matter: psychology, training, riding skills, etc.
- 25% (30 hours) in education related to direct service in your professional discipline
- 25% (30 hours) in any other subject related to hippotherapy
3. Written evidence of scholarly activity* appropriate to the field of hippotherapy. Examples include:
- Hippotherapy Faculty in Graduate Education
- Publication or research of scholarly article in Juried Publication
- Scientific research related to hippotherapy
- Teaching/developing workshops
- AHA Approved Workshop Faculty
*Scholarly activity not specifically mentioned will be considered by AHCB upon written request by the individual. The activity must demonstrate strong knowledge and involvement in the field of hippotherapy.
Application for re-certification must be submitted to AHCB and postmarked by the expiration date of your present certification. It is the responsibility of the Hippotherapy Clinical Specialist to apply for recertification in a timely manner.
*Failure to apply for recertification prior to the expiration date on your certificate will necessitate your re-taking the examination.
*Please submit application for recertification and necessary documentation together in one packet.
For more information, download the Hippotherapy Clinical Specialist recertification application.