AHCB Hippotherapy Certification Exam
Fall 2020 Testing
Spring 2021 Testing
Application and Fees
|Application Deadline: September 2, 2020|
First Day of Testing: Saturday, October 3, 2020
Last Day of Testing: Saturday, October 17, 2020
|Application Deadline: April 14, 2021|
First Day of Testing: Saturday, May 15, 2021
Last Day of Testing: Saturday, May 29, 2021
|AHA Inc. Members: $380.00 |
Non-AHA Inc. Members: $480.00
Click to download application
Update on the Coronoavirus Outbreak
As the response to the COVID-19 outbreak evolves, AHCB realizes this has been a busy and stressful time for each of you, personally and professionally. Visit the Professional Testing Corporation website for updates on testing availability.
Reminder:The Fall 2020 AHCB Certification Testing Application Deadline remains September 2, with Testing Dates of October 3-17, 2020.
If you have any questions regarding the certification application please contact Professional Testing Corporation. Phone: 212.356.0660. www.ptcny.com
If you have questions regarding certification renewal, please contact:
HPCS: Jann Goodman firstname.lastname@example.org
AHCB Certification: Linda Frease email@example.com
If you have any general questions, please contact Carol Huegel firstname.lastname@example.org
What Content is Covered?
The AHCB Hippotherapy Certification Examination is a computer-based examination composed of a maximum of 150 multiple-choice, objective questions with a total testing time of three (3) hours. Questions will be in the following areas:
- Program Administration
- Basic Horsemanship
- Posture and Movement Principles
- Hippotherapy Applications
1. Candidates must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
- The candidate must be currently licensed or certified to practice as a physical therapist, physical therapist assistant, occupational therapist, occupational therapist assistant, or speech and language pathologist in the US or the equivalent in other countries.
- The candidate must have at least one year of full time or the equivalent (2,000 hours) experience in the practice of physical therapy, occupational therapy, or speech and language pathology.
- The candidate must have completed American Hippotherapy Association (AHA) Level I and II equine skills and treatment principle courses or equivalent graduate level courses.
- The candidate must have a minimum of 25 hours of one-on-one direct patient treatment using hippotherapy prior to certification application deadline. *Please note that treatment experience that is part of an educational course or mentoring process does not qualify for this requirement.
- The candidate must be experienced and comfortable with horses and can ride safely and independently at the walk and trot.
2. Agree to abide by the AHCB Testing Agreement.
3. Complete and file Application for the Hippotherapy Certification Examination.
4. Payment of required fee.
The Certification Examination is administered during an established two-week testing period on a daily basis, Monday through Saturday, excluding holidays, at computer-based testing facilities managed by PSI. PSI has several hundred testing facilities in the United States, as well as Canada. Scheduling is done on a first-come, first-serve basis.
To find a testing center near you, visit www.ptcny.com/cbt/sites.htm or call 1-800-733-9267.
Please note: Hours and days of availability vary at different centers. To schedule your examination appointment, you must have received an Eligibility Notice in advance from PTC.
Download a Candidate Handbook and Application
Visit https://ptcny.com/test-sponsors/ahcb/ to obtain the detailed exam content outline in our Candidate
Handbook. You can also download an application for mailing.
For more information, Contact:
Professional Testing Corporation
1350 Broadway, Suite 800
New York, NY 10018